There is a lot of great advice out there for the serious job seeker. But, let's narrow it down to two questions that you can ask yourself, and thus present to your potential employer that will prepare you for your time to shine.Read More
Filtering by Tag: beautifully inspired
From as early as the 5th Century BC, the search for eternal youth was an obsession. Most notable is a Spanish explorer from the 16th Century named Juan Ponce de Leon, who popularized the hunt for the mystical Fountain of Youth, due to his desire for enhanced vigor and longevity.
Although Leon never truly found his "fountain", the quest for a magic potion is constantly in motion. From the moment we are old enough to care, we are obsessed with our image. Our skin in particular.
Youth is described by most as a "glow", a sort of transparency that only comes from youth itself. Consider a baby's skin for a moment. Pore-less, plump and just a hint of rosiness in all the right places. With the first sign of aging being a lack of radiance, how do we get that youthful glow back - and better yet, maintain it?
Your skin can shed 30,000 - 40,000 dead cells per minute, naturally. As we age, this natural turnover rate slows considerably and a skins cell cycle lengthens from 14 to 30 days. Think traffic jam of your skin's surface. These dead skin cells are what gets in the way of your radiance. Your moisturizer can not penetrate the skin and be absorbed to do its job. Your makeup looks artificial and mask-like. Skin looks gray, dull and dry.
Exfoliation is simply the removal of the oldest dead skin cells from the skin's outermost surface. Using multiple methods that are both physical and chemical speed up the skin cell turnover rate and provide tremendous improvement in the appearance of the skin.
Physical exfoliation methods involve scrubbing the skin with an abrasive. Microfiber cloths, sugars, salt, facial scrubs, brushes and pumice all fall into this category
Chemical exfoliation involves the use of products that contain acids (AHAs, BHAs) or enzymes that actually work to loosen the glue that hold dead skin cells together. This type of exfoliation is especially recommended for people with acne as it is not recommend to actively "scrub" a breakout as it may spread the bacteria that causes it in the first place.
As a true skincare addict would confess, nothing is like the feel of exfoliated skin. As an artist, I can immediately tell when a client incorporates exfoliation into her regimen. Therefore, I recommend a variety of BOTH physical and chemical methods on a daily basis.
Here are my absolute favorites that I have been using for years and one new treasure recently discovered:
1. Clinique Clarifying Lotion - My absolute desert island product. I have been a devotee for over 20 years. I use this in the morning after cleansing with a 100% cotton pad. It quickly sweeps away the top surface layer of skin to reveal a fresh and clean complexion. My favorite: #4
2. Body Brush- There are many different brushes available. Choose one's whose bristles are made with natural fibers. In circular motions working towards the heart, use on dry skin before showering. Skin is silky smooth and refreshed.
3. Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Peel Original Formula - A good friend of mine sent me this for my birthday. Within days, my slight acne was clear and skin looked toned and firm with a definite glow. I use my pads at night in lieu of the Clarifying Lotion.
4. Clarisonic Mia - If you don't have one, or something like it, get moving! Your skin will never quite feel as clean without it. Mine has lasted years and although I replace my head every 3 months, it is definitely worth the investment.
5. May Lindstrom Skin The Clean Dirt - Get ready for a treat...Not only is this entire product range handcrafted by May using carefully selected ingredients that are: Organic, wild crafted and cruelty-free, all of her formulas are proprietary, meaning she doesn't outsource. No short-cuts. And it's apparent! This particular exfoliating treatment is like a daily micro-dermabrasion from the best patisserie in Paris!
6. Coffee Body Scrub - This do it yourself recipe totally knocks out any store bought body scrub. Just the right amount of oomph and - bonus - its's 100% Natural and relatively inexpensive to whip up a batch. Click here for my recipe.
What's your favorite way to exfoliate? Share the deets! We all love a new potion.
If we're lucky enough to have the ability to follow our passions, you may find yourself in a field that you love, as I have for the past twenty years in beauty. But somewhere along the way, you don't necessarily get lost, but you just keep plowing through. The dreams stop and it's more about maintaining. For me, the constant over achiever, it was about success. Making a name. Making an impact.
The most meaningful moments for me in my career weren't the numbers I made in sales, although I was a top performer. It wasn't the promotions or titles that I was awarded, although I have certainly had the feeling of "arriving" when I reached the top of the Education ladder with the world's most prestigious luxury brand. For me, it was and always will be about the people whom I had an impact on. The people that I developed, that I promoted, that are today at the top of their ladder. It's the cards that pour out of my memory boxes of past colleagues who have shared their feelings and thanks with me about our time together. That, my beautiful friends, is what dreams are made of.
I recall sitting in my Manhattan office, surrounded in glass and overlooking the Empire State Building, a saying to a colleague, "if you could put a sign that on my door, 'People Developer', that would just about sum up my inner most desires." For me it was always important to have a team, to have a group of people that I could make an impact on and to ultimately...lead them to BEING THE BEST out there.
And so, after years of plowing through the constancy of "work"', I have the opportunity to live out my dream, to make an impact , to simply inspire others to live life to their fullest potential, beautifully.
Guess what? There is no secret. It is simply about identifying where your passions intersect your skills, building confidence around that uniqueness and going for it. Taking chances. Knowing that you are unique. Because the fact is - and listen closely - not everyone has the passion to do this. Not everyone has the desire to win, to be the best. It takes work to pay attention, to dream, to take chances. IF you have the ability to do it, HARNESS IT as it will be the differentiator and the key to your success and happiness. No one stays idle in life. As long as you are alive, you are constantly in motion. The question is, in which direction? Forward or backward?
Go forward! Be a force to be reckoned with. After all, what is it that you plan to do with this one precious life?
How do you live life beautifully inspired? Please share comments, create dialogue, tell me what you'd like to see. I will be sharing more about coaching, beauty and living life in general as mom, wife and mentor.
I'm so happy that you've decided to stop by.